Friday, June 13, 2014

6/13/14: I'm makin' things spooky!

Another Friday, another build update!

This time I made a little "funhouse" for the player to explore.  I'm experimenting with ways to guide the player to specific places, without them able to actually see anything.  I opted to have tiny wall lights to let them know where the boundaries are, and I kind of like how they look so far.

I've also varied the monster sound effects, so now there are 3 different variations of me sounding like an idiot for you to enjoy!  On top of that, I set up a few trigger events to surprise the player, which is mostly just me experimenting with what I can and can't get away with in terms of scares.  So far I really like what I've been able to put out, but my Unity skills still seem rudimentary at best.  Here's an excerpt of a piece of shit script I wrote at 1am when I couldn't get things to work and was too tired to try to actually figure it out...

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;
using Lights;

public class TurnRoomLightsOff : MonoBehaviour
{
    public LightSource light1;
    public LightSource light2;
    public LightSource light3;
    public LightSource light4;
    public LightSource light5;
    public LightSource light6;
    public GameObject monster1;
    public GameObject monster2;
    public GameObject monster3;
    public GameObject monster4;
    public GameObject monster5;
    public GameObject monster6;
    public GameObject monster7;
    public GameObject monster8;
    public WakeUpMonster wakeMonster1;
    public WakeUpMonster wakeMonster2;
    public WakeUpMonster wakeMonster3;
    public WakeUpMonster wakeMonster4;
    public WakeUpMonster wakeMonster5;
    public WakeUpMonster wakeMonster6;
    public WakeUpMonster wakeMonster7;
    public WakeUpMonster wakeMonster8;

    //FIX THIS SHIT IMMEDIATELY!!!
    /*private GameObject[] getLights;
    public LightSource[] roomLights;

    void Awake()
    {
        getLights = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("roomLight");

        for (int i = 0; i < 1; i++)
        {
            roomLights[i] = getLights[i].GetComponent<LightSource>();
        }
    }
    */
    void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    {
        //Oh god kill me...
        light1.TurnOff();
        light2.TurnOff();
        light3.TurnOff();
        light4.TurnOff();
        light5.TurnOff();
        light6.TurnOff();

        monster1.collider.enabled = true;
        monster2.collider.enabled = true;
        monster3.collider.enabled = true;
        monster4.collider.enabled = true;
        monster5.collider.enabled = true;
        monster6.collider.enabled = true;
        monster7.collider.enabled = true;
        monster8.collider.enabled = true;

        wakeMonster1.collider.enabled = true;
        wakeMonster2.collider.enabled = true;
        wakeMonster3.collider.enabled = true;
        wakeMonster4.collider.enabled = true;
        wakeMonster5.collider.enabled = true;
        wakeMonster6.collider.enabled = true;
        wakeMonster7.collider.enabled = true;
        wakeMonster8.collider.enabled = true;
    }
     
}   

Don't be me, kids.  There's no pride in that...

Here's a link to the latest build, if you'd like to try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment